Before joining Fox Smith in 2017, Stas worked for the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office where, as Director of the White Collar and Fraud Unit, he supervised trial attorneys and paralegals while maintaining a caseload of violent crimes and commercial fraud. In addition to trying numerous jury and bench trials to verdict, Stas represented the State of Missouri in a variety of civil and criminal hearings and successfully litigated several appeals on behalf of the State, including oral argument.
Stas brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to every marine investigation and lawsuit. Fox Smith’s clients rely on his background in the investigative side of the law, shaped by a history of hundreds of witness, expert, and suspect interviews. Stas represents Fox Smith’s clients, from the scene of major marine casualties to federal and state courtrooms throughout the Midwest. His wealth of experience and familiarity with one of the most plaintiff-friendly jurisdictions in the country is an asset to any client with a case in the City of St. Louis.
- Tried over 50 criminal and civil cases (more than 30 jury trials), including Jones Act suits for wrongful death and personal injury in both state and federal court.
- Awarded Trial Star designation by the Circuit Attorney’s Office in recognition of outstanding achievement in the courtroom for jury trial record in both 2015 and 2016.
- Multiple defense judgments in the City of St. Louis denying venue and personal jurisdiction to Jones Act plaintiffs.
- Obtained McCorpen summary judgment in favor of a Jones Act employer.
- Coordinated with local law enforcement and federal agencies on numerous major marine casualty investigations.
Stas also lends his proficiency in criminal law and trial strategy to other practice groups within the firm. Aside from assisting Fox Smith’s clients with active claims and cases, Stas has counseled numerous clients on hiring practices, claims handling and operations and best practices in anticipation of maritime litigation. He has lectured in the areas of regulatory compliance, risk management, trial strategy, jury selection and maintenance and cure to clients and fellow attorneys.
Fox Smith’s clients rely on the knowledge and investigation, litigation and trial experience that Stas has amassed in over 12 years of practice. He earned a Bachelor of Arts (cum laude) from the University of Missouri in Columbia, with departmental honors in Political Science in 2007. Stas earned his law degree from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor in 2010, where he was an associate editor of the Michigan Journal of Race & Law.