Coast Guard Investigations
Ted Lucas has nearly 30 years of litigation and transaction experience, with an emphasis on maritime, OSHA, Coast Guard, marine construction and commercial litigation. He has tried numerous cases to verdict and has successfully defended high exposure, complex cases in federal and state courts throughout the midwest, working most frequently in Missouri, Illinois, and Kentucky.
- Successfully defended a bridge construction company on a wrongful death claim.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court in the defense of a contractual indemnity claim seeking nearly $2,000,000, and successfully defended the trial court’s decision on appeal.
- Obtained a defense verdict in federal court on a large property damage claim against a fleeting and harbor service.
- Successfully litigated Jones Act seaman status in numerous cases.
- Obtained favorable settlements in numerous Jones Act and Longshore / Harbor Workers personal injury claims.
- Successfully represented marine transportation companies on cargo and property damage claims arising from collisions and breakaways.
- Obtained outstanding recoveries on behalf of marine insurers seeking subrogation on large property damage claims.
- Represented numerous companies in the purchase/sale of vessels, charter parties, and other marine related contracts.
- Helped obtain a defense verdict on a claim seeking millions of dollars in damages for alleged ERISA violations.
Ted is a Proctor of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, a frequent speaker at maritime law seminars, and a past chairman of the Admiralty Section of the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis.